Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tatted Handkerchief

I got a card in the mail this weekend from my Aunt, who we admittedly don't see very often but is someone I've always thought highly of. The card was such a nice gesture in itself but when I opened it up I found the hankerchief pictured above, along with an explanation that the lace on the side is handmade! Her note explained that she tatted the handkerchief herself, something that she learned how to do from my Great Grandmother. She made it for me to carry down the aisle. I am so excited and so touched by the gesture, I just had to share the pictures. And in case you're curious about what tatting actually is (like I was) Wikipedia can fill us in:

"Tatting is a technique for handcrafting a particularly durable lace constructed by a series of knots and loops. Tatting can be used to make lace edging as well as doilies, collars, and other decorative pieces. The lace is formed by a pattern of rings and chains formed from a series of lark's head (or half-hitch) knots, called double stitches (ds), over a core thread. Gaps can be left between the stitches to form picots, which are used for practical construction as well as decorative effect."

2 comments:

rebekah @ elizabeth anne designs said...

That is all that is lovely about weddings. What a fantastic aunt you have.

Erica said...

It's beautiful. What a thoughtful gesture--and a sweet Aunt!