Blog has moved, searching new blog...

The Production Begins

We went to my parents house for Easter weekend and got so much wedding related work done it will take me all week to blog about it! And when I say "we" I really mean that everyone else worked and I walked around and gave direction while taking pictures. It's the way to be. First up, my Mom and I made one of the runners so that we can take it up to Wisconsin for our "table mock-up" in a few weeks. We were originally planning on making them 14-16" wide, but when we laid the fabric out it was clear that each runner could only be as wide as the biggest part of the pattern:
So each runner is almost exactly 12 inches. If you can see those little diamond things on the outside of the large pattern, we cut right down the middle of those to make each runner. That way we could fold each edge under about 1/4 of an inch. We made the first runner 120" long, which will be the longest possible length. When we put it on the table we'll decide how long we actually want them to be and trim accordingly. The first cut was through the width of the fabric, to get the appropriate length:

Then we cut out each runner...if you look closely you can see the lines that we drew right on the fabric. The ends get folded under, so even if you're not completely accurate (I am nearly incapable of cutting in a straight line) you won't see the lines.
Then you pin each of the edges under 1/4 of an inch. After my Mom pinned them this way she realized it was easier to put in the pins in vertically because you can run the sewing machine right over them.
We decided that white thread would blend the best. The actual sewing takes only a few minutes, it's the cutting and the pinning that takes awhile.Here is the first finished product! As you can see, my Mom's measuring skills were right on and the large pattern is perfectly centered all the way down.
The lumps in the fabric are just because we didn't feel like ironing at the moment. They lay quite nicely and the fabric is a great weight so that they hang over the edge perfectly.
We also decided that sewing some black satin ribbon onto the edges might make it look more finished. My Mom is going to get some ribbon and make another runner with the ribbon attached this week. We'll take both of them up to Wisconsin and decide which we like best when we see them on the tables. I would say it will take about an hour to make each runner, and I tried to let my Mom off the hook several times this weekend but she insists that she wants to make them. Thank goodness for Moms :)

14 comments:

Kathy said...

My goodness! How beautiful! I can't wait to see how perfect they'll look on the tables! Great job! And I can't wait to hear about the rest of the items you've knocked off your list!

theselittlemoments said...

They look so good! You may have inspired me to make my own runners as well!

Chitown Bride said...

They look stunning! I can't wait to see your photos from the wedding!

Melissa DiStefano said...

They are totally beautiful! I can't wait to see them with the ribbon! I think I'll need to buy them from you (well maybe one for my dining room table) :)

lesley. said...

These are awesome! Way to go talented moms!!!

This doesn't really go with this post, but it kind of does...I saw this flower girl dress and I remember you did a post a little while back about flower girl dresses, but I thought this matched your damask theme. I don't know how to insert a picture, so I will just put the link... http://www.susannelively.com/
then click on the Spring 2008 link on the left, then go to page 2 of the pop-up window of flower girl dresses. Enjoy! :)

Maria said...

Your runners are fabulous!! I gave my damask fabric to my friend last night. I am not crafty so she has volunteered to do them all. I am lucky! She is starting next weekend. I will let you know how they go! I love yours!!

Lyndsy said...

They turned out so well! I cannot wait to see the pics of your tables. My MOH and I are making the runners for my wedding as well and you better believe I will be using your post as a guideline :)

A Windy City Wedding said...

Oh I love them! My talented mom is going to make some runners for us as well, I hope they are as awesome as yours!

Kelly Oshiro said...

Hi,

I made my runners as well and used stitch witchery so I didn't have any seems showing. Just a thought...

Molly said...

Darci, they look great!

I would do grosgrain ribbon though - the satin stuff is harder to work with and will ripple easily.

Julia said...

:::::while tapping fingers together like Mr. Burns::::::

Excellent.

Darci said...

Thanks, everyone! Molly - we are trying out a few different ribbons and will be sure to let everyone know which works best.

Polka Dot Bride said...

I thee ditz. I just worked out why I saw this entry twice!

Love it by the way!

Wedding Reception said...

Good work!