Blog has moved, searching new blog...

The Little Ones

We're having two flower girls...my niece (who I am head over heels crazy about) and the daughter of close family friend's on B's side of things who we've known since she was born. The two of them together are going to be painfully cute, but I've actually been avoiding this post because finding their dresses seems quite daunting to me. The whole "mini bride" situation freaks me out. I want them to look like the adorable little girls that they are and be comfortable enough in their dresses that they can romp and dance. And, I really don't want to ask anyone to pay over $100 for a little girl's dress. I realize that most people have to end up going that route, and that it's much easier, it's just not the choice for me. I had NO idea how expensive flower girl dresses are! But in my search for alternatives I've come up with a few candidates. First up, this little pintuck number from Janie & Jack. I am not wild about the rose but I am guessing it can be removed. I picture it with a little green cardigan ($58):
And then there is this green polka dot dress from Olive Juice kids ($58). I love the collar and think it would look adorable with a white cardigan. I would be completely sold on this one, but I wish that the skirt was fuller:

And then one of my friends, who is clearly a genuis, found this at Ralph Lauren ($60). There is a child size and a toddler size up to 24 months, so there is one to fit everyone. Again, with a little white cardigan, it would be adorable.
And the one for the tiny little people:
I am still going to keep looking, but am leaning heavily towards the RL dresses. My one hesitation being that I am not totally sure they're the right shade of green. Have any of you found good alternatives to the standard white dresses?

12 comments:

Monica Rae said...

Couldn't they wear tiny poofy slips? I wore one when I was a flower girl and I thought it was fantastic! (you can imagine...)

tina said...

Your colors are black, white, and green, right? How about the jcrew dress with the black sash and a green ball of flowers?

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/multiProductCrewcuts.jhtml?ids=prod79567201,prod79550201#

Inna said...

I'm having my girls wear dresses from usangels.com - I'm getting them at wholesale prices, not sure what the retail is.

I think theyre darling though.

Kathy said...

Oh my goodness! Those RL dresses are just darling!

Anne said...

Love the RL one. Have you looked at Strausburg Children? I got ours there in their clearance section. It's a blue and white gingham dupioni silk with a huge white bow in the back. They'll look cuter than I do!

panoramicgreen said...

I like children dressed up in tulle, with flowers in their hair--part ballet/fairy costume, part renaissance baby. Costumes really aren't expensive, and you could do all sorts of greenery... You seem a bit more preppy than that, but others might like the whimsy...

Jessica said...

Hi, I just wanted to let you know about gagas.com. You can rent kids' formalwear, so you can get a flower girl dress for 3 weeks for about $20. I think this is the route I'm going to take. I hate having to ask my friends to buy expensive clothes that their kids will just outgrow.

zephyr sloan said...

hey!
very cute dresses!
i like the green colour for flower girls...very chic!

nomi said...

I love the RL dresses! I'm not a fan of flower girl brides either... And some more tomboy-ish little girls (that was me) don't like getting all dolled up.

Lisanne said...

There's a really cute green and white dress at Target of all places. Now is a great time to find dresses - because it's getting closer to Easter!

LoveLola said...

you might want to try Burlington Coat Factory (if they have one by you?) i felt the same way about the crazy prices for some dresses and the idea of getting three reasonable dresses for all three of my nieces was daunting until i took my mom's advice and got three dresses for under $100 (for all 3!)

Anonymous said...

the only attendants i'm having are my 2 nieces and my nephew and our color is green as well...there is another green/white more formal dupioni silk dress i found at janie and jack, but i may go with j.crews green option from the crewcuts collection...the oldest niece might be 11 but she's shaped like a 16 year old so the 8 year old and she clearly can not wear the same dress...plus i like the thought of them looking different but coordinated. jcrew has a similar color but a different style in their bridesmaid collection that will be good for the tweener. i too am concerned about the color but i was also told jcrew is coming out with their summer colors in april...good luck! (i also considered all of the dresses you have show!)