Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Altars and Arches

Since our ceremony will be in front of the lake & such pretty scenery, I don't want to do much decorating and risk taking away from our surroundings. But I do think that we need something to stand under, or near, or something to anchor the space that I suppose will be considered our altar. I love the picture above but Brad thinks that logistically the "stick altar" will be hard to assemble well enough that it will hold up. So, maybe just the flowers in buckets? I remember our friends Lindsay & John had a similar set-up though (a better one if you ask me), so I am not giving up hope just yet:

4 comments:

Monica Rae said...

I think it would work, but it would have to be done on-site. If you put some stakes in the ground and drill them to four long sticks, you could attach the rest with wire, or possibly a drill or nails if needed (note to self: add stated items to emergency kit). The finished product wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon, no matter how hard the wind blows. I have a photo of something similar with long strips of white linen attached. I love it.

I think you should go for it.

Darci said...

Oh how I hate that you were booked on my date, Monica! But thanks again for all the input...its invaluable!

Danica said...

If you have time to build one, it's certainly doable. I've had a couple brides over the years do this (or more like Dad did it!) and they even transported it the day of.

I belive they both started with a metal structure and attached branches/sticks to it with wire. You then either need stakes that you can put in the ground, although I would recommend making wooden bases with holes drilled into that the arch stakes into. The wooden bases keep it more level and much easier to set up. You either paint the wooden bases brown or green to match the outdoor surroundings or cover them up with potted flowers/plants at the base.

However, if building one isn't in the cards....large pots/tubs of flowers is beautiful to stand around. I love it when the pots/flowers are placed in a semi-circle that extends around and in back of the couple. Does that even make any sense? :)

Judith said...

What about using a couple of shepherd hooks (I think that's what they're called) to define the space, with some simple flower vases, matching the flowers on the groupd? It sounds simpler than trying to build an arch, which would have to happen the day of?