Blog has moved, searching new blog...

There Is Hope, Yet...

A few weeks ago, one of the photographers I interviewed sent me pictures of an event he shot in the tent at The Abbey. Needless to say, the pictures made me REALLY nervous because the majority of them looked like they were shot in a shed. Here is the worst of it: The tent is a permanent structure from May - October, so the top of it is more stable than a tent with poles in the middle. However, the lighting in that picture and those metal beams on the ceiling seriously make it look like a shed. And the two tone dance floor...yikes! So I called our coordinator at The Abbey, and sent her this picture as well. She said that they have several dance floors, and that the couple for this wedding actually choose the two tone floor. She immediately noted that we want a solid colored floor, made up entirely of the darker panels. Phew. So now I am left to consider what to do with the ceiling, and how to make the entire venue look less "shed-like." I called a rental company and asked if they could drape fabric on the ceiling, and they won't do it. They told me they can hang some tulle and lights, and sent me this picture as an example: Mmmm, no. No tulle. So Brad and I were discussing it this weekend (just imagine, for a second, his enthusiasm) and I said that I've read a lot about lighting designers. You can hire them to design the lighting scheme for an event, which surprisingly enough can completely change the feel and look of a room. I was really skeptical at first, but when you figure the cost of renting fabric for the ceiling and hiring someone to hang it vs. hiring someone to configure the lighting, its much more economical and has a much greater impact. Then this morning I saw a picture on Our Wedding Plus that completely sealed the deal for me. Its a tent that looks EXACTLY like ours, where someone hired a lighting designer. I was already going to use paper lanterns, so I couldn't be more excited about this! I give you, the non-shed-like tent: Lighting designers, here I come!

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

Wow! Darci, great post! It is definitly a dramatic difference from the first picture!

And, I'm extremely happy that I helped you!

Rhonda

Darci said...

Thank you so much for posting that picture, Rhonda! Now I have something to use, as in "I want it to look like this." It was a huge help!

Maggie said...

Awesome last picture. I'm nervous about lighting, too - hadn't thought of a lighting designer. We spied on a reception at our venue and their lighting was terrible - the place was lit up like a middle school dance. Eek!

Wedding Reception said...

Yes, the reception in the last photo looks great.